Monday, June 22, 2009

Day 2 - "Bookworm" - 6/20/09

After a few refreshing days off with my girlfriend, it was time to show up for a new tour on what I think is the busiest night of the week.... Saturday. Before I showed up, I readjusted my duty belt so that it would stay snug, made sure my radio was charged, and hit the road. I got to the station at 10:15, and patiently waited for my FTO to show at 10:30. He came by and picked me up right on schedule.

I had completely memorized all of the Q codes and dispatch signals, so now I actually knew what was going on over the radio. The first thing that came in was a vehicle fire, but another unit was taking care of it as he was already on scene. We were also in another patrol zone, so we headed to our post where my FTO gave me an assignment.

OBJECTIVE-
1. Study Q codes, dispatch signals, maps, and SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures).

I am the kind of guy that loves a challenge, so while my FTO was doing supervisory things and paperwork, I took to the books and decided to brush up on my geography. I am also the kind of guy who likes to accomplish EVERYTHING and be a step ahead, so because I memorized all of my Q codes and dispatch signals, all I really had to focus on was geography and SOPs. The geography wasn't too bad. I am not the kind of guy who uses "directions" to find places, I use images. If I drive to a place once, I can drive there unassisted from then on.

My FTO gave me the idea of drawing a map and labeling things, so I did, and it really helps. That's probably why he's the FTO I was in the station with my nose in the books for 3 hours, and by then my brain was starting to overheat. Continous studying had gotten the better of me. I decided a "12" was in order (meal break/eat), so I fished out my sunflower seeds and drank a cup of coffee. Finally, my FTO emerged and told me to bring my stuff as we were going to hit the road.We headed to a checkpoint, where we sat from 0300-0500. My FTO said, "Do me a favor and write down all the Q codes, dispatch signals, and phoenetic alphabet on the back of your daily activity sheet." This was my time to shine. I immediately scribbled down ALL OF IT and showed it to him. It felt good to show him I was being responsible and taking care of what I was supposed to. He rewarded me by letting me queue up on the radio while we did checks of some of the surrounding areas. It was another step closer to the end of FTO.

Towards the end of the shift, we received a call about a possible PANTHER nosing around someone's house. Between the alligators and the panther, you might as well call in Animal Planet and have them start shooting film.

All in all, it was a fairly uneventful night, but I am still exciting for what tonight can possibly bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment