Saturday, July 18, 2009

Day 18 - "Keys" - 7/16 - 7/1709

Things have been going very smoothly so far in regards to my Phase 2. I am getting more responsibility, more field experience, and to my delight, a set of keys to my patrol car :D. Me being a car guy definitely will pay off in this aspect.... my vehicle is going to be neat, clean, organized, and the best kept in all Dade County, if not the whole state.

After celebrating for a bit, it was time to get to work. Our first assignment for Thursday was to transport this guy from our station to the Dade County Jail. Not only was this a geography lesson, but it was an opportunity to display to my FTO my officer safety skills. Dade County Jail is no joke at all; there are actually signs on each wall stating that if you choose to touch them, you may get a staph infection... just what I've always wanted *eye roll*. My FTO gave me full responsibility in transporting the prisoner, with the exception of driving as I was not allowed to do that yet. I handled the prisoner correctly, all the while all the inmates have that "one step and I'll fuck your day up" look in their eyes. I reacted accordingly and didn't show any sign of fear, because not only did I have the backing of all the Corrections guys, I had the backing of myself and my training. Suddenly, both the attention of myself and the inmates was drawn to something quite more entertaining than the display of ego.... a prostitute with a big mouth, and not in a good way either. One of the other agencies brought her in for, you guess it, prostitution, and she decided to pay the favor of the free ride with some urine on the floor and some "nice" words for all of us in uniform. After her display of affection, I finished processing my prisoner, and it was back to the station. The rest of the night was uneventful, right up until the end of the shift. Explanation below:

So we conduct this traffic stop on this woman who didn't have any operable rear tail lights, and as soon as I approach the driver's door she is already in my ear with the "why did you stop me? what am I doing wrong? don't you have anything better to do?" mentality. I calmly ask for her license, registration, and insurance, and she won't give it to me. "Why did you stop me?" I said to her, "When you give me the things I asked you for, I will tell you." She finally ended the staring contest that ensued and gave me her information. I then gave her my explanation, ran her infomation, and generated a citation. Of course you can only imagine the lip service I got from that, but I knew exactly what to do and activated the "bobble-head" feature. I kept smiling, nodding, and saying, "I understand. I know". After her little rant I politely explained the ticket to her, let her sign, and let her on her way. Just then, a truck driver came up to us and said someone had taken all the gas from his truck. Time to switch hats and conduct an investigation.

It turned out someone had siphoned close to 200 gallons of diesel fuel from this guy's truck while it was parked for roughly 4 hours. I reviewed one of the security cameras located where the truck was parked, and found another semi-truck parked directly next to his and spent roughly 20 minutes there, which is more than enough time to siphon all that fuel with the right tools. I gave him a case number and a ride to the gas station to get some fuel. I then generated a report and went home.

The next day was mostly directed patrol and some traffic. It's amazing what some people will come up with. In a 70MPH zone, my FTO clocked this one guy at 90. We pull him over, and during my conversation with the violator, he said, "I was only going 89." That's still speeding dude, which still means you're getting a ticket. I thought one of the purposes to setting cruise control so that you DIDN'T speed, not that you set a test speed to see what flies and what doesn't. Oh well, another ticket for my Phase 2 stats (I have to write a minimum of 8 to pass the phase, and I wrote 5 yesterday, so only a couple to go), and another day returning home safe.

Now I get to enjoy my weekend and keep my eye on my patrol car sitting in the parking lot, hoping to drive it very soon :D

No comments:

Post a Comment