Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 20 - "Fahrvergnügen" - 7/21/09-7/27/09

So, second phase definitely has its perks. I have begun driving my assigned patrol vehicle, and I love it. Conducting traffic stops is slightly more difficult because not only do I have to pull the vehicle over and remember all my officer safety, but I have to use proper radio procedure and give all pertinent information. Also, I am on a tighter timetable, and I am handling it fairly well. Also, the volume of calls is increasing, and I am handling them all more independently.

Today was fairly interesting. Not only was it the first day of school, we were a little short on staff, and sure enough, the calls came a-coming. The first call we received was for a medical emergency; an elderly resident got weak in the knees, fell down, and hit her head on the floor. We attended to her, and just as she came around another call of the same nature came in, only this one was from the school; a parent had a seizure. Now there are lots of variables. Very few officers coupled with multiple calls makes things a little chaotic. Things got so bad with the patients that we had to send an air unit, which now meant we had to meet the helicopter and transport the paramedics to both scenes. Now since all the pieces were in their proper places, it was time to take care of traffic and crowd control, which wasn't too bad. After all was said and done, both patients were stable, and one was being airlifted. One complete hour had passed. Time flies when you're having fun.

Then later in the day, another set of the same type of call at the same time. We had to respond to a person locked out of their vehicle, which wasn't a problem. As soon as we were done, it was time to go to a different lockout. I tell you, I've responded to five of these things already. Especially with power door locks, I don't understand how you lock your keys in your car. Whatever, every person is forgetful in one area or another.

I like responding to all of these calls, especially now that I am driving. I started FTO as strictly as an observer, and with phase 3 of my FTO drawing closer, I am beginning to feel independent..... I like it a lot.

Well, that's it. Oh, and "Fahrvergnügen" is German for "The pleasure of driving" :D. Thanks Volkswagen commercials for the word, thanks to my FTO and my agency for the source.

1 comment: